Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shutter Headboard, Part 1

Ian and I made a great find at a local barn sale...it was a great barn, brought here piece by piece from Spinnerstown, and then renovated into a beautiful Bucks County home.  Unbelievable!  There were so many great items, including an antique child's drop leaf table and chair set and beautiful egg baskets.  But when we saw these shutters, we knew they were just what we were looking for to make our headboard...finally!  And she gave us a great price!


We measured them and realized that we needed four to fit the width of our bed and fit within the window frames on either side.  Two have a great patina on them and two have lost most of their paint.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they're an incredible shade of green and fade to blue on their sides.


Just look at the little wood pegs!  So charming.


Using a stiff brush, I wiped away all of the loose paint chips and dirt.


I'm going to look into whether or not I need to seal or lacquer these to preserve them.  Ian is working on how we're going to hang them to become our headboard.  I'll be sure to post the finished product as soon as it's done!

I almost forgot!  Ian spotted another great find at the barn sale.  He found a white door with the original hardware and a moon cutout.  He likes it because it reminds him of an outhouse door.  I was hesitant at first but it really looks great in our living room!  I'll post a picture soon. IT'S DONE! Click here to see our new headboard!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up to Tales from Bloggeritaville's Thrifty Thursday!!!! I LOVE your thrifty link up so much I am featuring today on my Friday flashback. I am inspired!
    Thanks so much!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. headboard stabilizer

    ReplyDelete