Friday, January 14, 2011

Mooding It Up a Bit


I could not be more flippin' excited! Don't you love it when you find the perfect tool or gadget that helps you do something you've always wanted to do?!? Well, I had that moment of joy last night.

As I look at other blogs and interior design sites, I always see their inspirational moodboards and think about how I wish I could have such a keen eye and put together a mood board that would help me find a focus for my own decorating. See, Ian and I have been taking it slow to buy things for our home...well, let me rephrase that. I have been taking it slow. Ian on the other hand loves to pick up knick-knacks and doo-dads to place around, which has sparked some minor scuffles because I don't want a house of mix-matched clutter, or a house completely overrun by antiques and collectibles. I also don't want it to be too matchy-matchy. I like a healthy balance. I hate to be cliche, but I am sort of in love with Pottery Barn...I think just about every DIY and home decorating blogger would admit to that. Also, I like a bit of old and new. And I know Ian is tired of hearing me say it, but when it comes to buying things for the house, I'll know it when I see it. When I find just the right pillow or accessory, I fall hard for it. If I don't have a serious moment when I first see it, then I know it's not for Quaint Oaks.

So last night I thought to myself, "self, I need some direction with my decorating." I know what I don't want, but I'm having trouble finding what I do want. If only I could create my own moodboard to guide me along the way! And then it hit me and I got this look of discovery...kind of like the way the boy in A Christmas Story looks when he gets the revelation that he needs to ask the big man himself for his Red Rider Bee-Bee Gun. I searched, how to make your own mood board. DUH! Why hadn't I thought of this sooner! There, right in front of me, were two awesome programs that I instantly feel in love with.


Olioboard is a free program. You can browse other people's mood boards, which is fun for a while, or...you simply go through their enormous treasure trove of images and drag the ones you like onto a canvas to create your very own mood board. Then in an instant, you can save it, embed it, publish it...it's incredible! An extra bonus is that after you choose all of your elements, they will tell you where you can find them. I'm feeling too much excitement for words!

My Deco is also free. With My Deco you can do a number of things. You can create a mood board, a 3D room and decorate a picture of a room. My Deco also allows you to shop for the items that you selected, and also share and publish your creations. This one seems to have some more features, but there is something about the simplicity of Oloioboard that keeps me coming back for more!

I know exactly what I will be doing this weekend while I should be taking down Christmas stuff. Yes, our Christmas stuff is still up. It's always been a tradition to keep the Christmas decorations up until after my birthday...but after that we're out of excuses. So, this weekend we will embark on the dreaded task. But when that's over, I'll will be getting my mood on!

Here is my very first mood board. It definitely captures what I'm going for at Quaint Oaks...mostly natural elements and tones with some pops of color. Ian doesn't care for the blue, however, so I'll just have to create another one this weekend! Bummer.

Cottage Blue Living Room

No comments:

Post a Comment