Monday, March 14, 2011

Cheesy Chicken, Rice & Broccoli


Ok, so this is recipe 1 of 5 from Living Locurto's Fast & Easy menu.  Before I get into just how delicious this dinner was, can I just tell you how great it was to go into the food store with a plan?  As I mentioned in my previous post, I want to become a more efficient food shopper.  Thanks to Amy at Living Locurto and her printable food shopping list, I sped through each aisle without a minute wasted on indecision!  Thanks Amy!

So tonight I tried the first recipe of the week, cheesy chicken, rice and broccoli.  How could this possibly go wrong?!  It was delicious.  Here's how it all went down...

I cooked up two seasoned chicken breasts in a little olive oil.


Next, I removed the chicken and added 1 3/4 chicken broth, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and some salt and pepper to the pan.


Once this started boiling, I added 1 1/2 cups of instant brown rice and fresh broccoli.  Just like Grandma does when she makes her broccoli, I peeled the stems and threw those in, too.  I stirred this up, threw the chicken back on top, and covered and simmered until the rice and broccoli were nice and tender.  


This would have been enough, but doesn't cheese make everything better?  My thighs don't think so.  I threw some cheddar cheese on top, let it get melty gooey and then plated our dinner.  Can you believe there's a piece of chicken nestled in there???


This recipe was a-maz-ing!  Again, not oober healthy, but such a great comfort food!  Perfect for a cozy evening.  So, night one was a success.  Tomorrow, parmesan crusted tilapia!

No comments:

Post a Comment