Monday, March 28, 2011

Stir-Fry Pasta Primavera


Monday means first recipe of the new weekly menu!  I thought about this one all day.  Maybe because we recently has awesome pasta primavera.  Maybe because I knew I'd get to play with my wok.  ...it's the little things.  Anyway, this is a Rachel Ray recipe from her February issue on page 74.  The ingredients are simple and this took no time to make!  Perfect for one of those got-home-from-work-late dinners.


First, boil up some water and add salt.  Toss in some broccoli florets for about 30 seconds or just until they turn bright green.  You still want them crispy.  Don't drain them, just scoop them out and then add the fettuccine to the same boiling water.  When this is done, make sure you reserve about 3/4 cup of the starchy water for later, then drain. 

Get the wok nice and hot over high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and swirl it around...it has been so long since I've cooked with veggie oil!  Add onions.  I sliced half of a large red onion.  Once they're nice and fragrant (don't you love that smell?) add another tablespoon of veggie oil and the carrots.  I sliced 4 carrots into 1/4 inch slices.  Then, add the broccoli and garlic.  I threw in about 3 large cloves of garlic, sliced, even though Rach doesn't call for it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think pasta or broccoli should ever be served without garlic...ever.  Once everything is tender (but not too tender), add the cherry tomato halves.  I added a whole pint.  Add this point add salt and pepper.

Next, add 3/4 cup of heavy cream.  Once this comes to a boil, remove the wok from the heat, add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and a whole lot of fresh basil. Toss, add pasta, toss some more, and you're done!


That's it!  So easy.  I wasn't sure that salt, pepper, cream and cheese would be enough to flavor this dish, but it was perfect.  I love the colors of all of the bright veggies, too.  It gets me excited for spring. 


The lighting wasn't great for this picture, but I still love the look of a colorful pasts dish in a big white bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment