Friday, February 11, 2011

On this day...

On this day 5 years ago, Ian and I were supposed to go out for an early Valentine's dinner but we were snowed in.  In true Ian style, he planned the most beautiful Valentine's surprise instead.  He handed me a little paper heart and on the back was a clue.  It led me to the attic where I found...you guessed it, another heart.  I went from room to room, searched high and low, behind, inside, and under things, finding one heart after another, each one leading me to a different place.  Finally, I came to the stairs and started making my way down to the living room.  


 The lights were turned down, but there was a beautiful glow.  The table was covered in candles, candy, a card and two velvet boxes.  I sat beside him on the couch, speechless.  Part of me thought, this could be the moment.  Two boxes threw me off, though.  He handed me the first box...diamond earrings.  They were beautiful.  I was so blown away that I couldn't imagine what would be in the second box.  I thought, oh my goodness, this could really be it!  He handed me the box...another pair of diamond earrings!  It was such a strange feeling because I was blown away by my beautiful gifts and my wonderfully romantic boyfriend, but I couldn't help but be a little disappointed.   

I wanted to put my new earrings in so I started with the left ear, turning my head down and to the right so I could fasten the back.  When I looked back at Ian, he was on one knee with another velvet box.  This was it!  He told me that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, and I said yes.  It was the most thoughtful and cozy proposal.  I don't get wrapped up in the hearts and chocolate of Valentine's Day, but every year this holiday reminds me of that special night.

No comments:

Post a Comment